We pulled away from the dock
at La Conner just a little after 10 o’clock, using the current at our stern to
push us away from the dock. We got
turned around and headed into the current as we passed under the Rainbow Bridge .
I like the southern entrance/exit to the La Conner area where we go
through what they call “Hole in the Wall” – very scenic. It’s not the same Hole in the Wall up north
of Desolation Sound. Due to a lack of
recent dredging, the channel from here towards Whidbey
Island has been getting shallower in some spots, but we were close
to high tide. Even so we passed over a
few areas that registered just 11 feet, which would be a bit dicey at a tide 7
or 8 feet lower.
Heading south along the Whidbey Shore
towards Strawberry Point we had a great view of Mt. Baker . It seems as if it followed us most of the way
south.
| Mt. Baker from southern terminus of Swinomish Channel |
The engines were running
great and the temperatures were holding steady – until we got even with the
Camano Island Yacht Club a couple hours later.
At that point the port engine decided that it would run up to 200
degrees again and set off the alarm! I
backed off on its throttle and put it in neutral and the temperature returned
pretty close to normal – but when I engaged the gear again it began to
climb. So, I shut it off and we cruised
along on the starboard engine for 15 or 20 minutes. After that I restarted it and it seemed to be
behaving normally. I put it back in
gear, bumped our speed up a knot and the temperature held steady. We decided to skip Langley
and head for Everett . With the new thermostat in that engine, this is
more likely an airlock issue – but it seems strange that the airlock can occur
after 7 hours of proper cooling. Oh
well, something more to figure out. That’s
why we’re calling this a shake down cruise!
We had another issue with
the house batteries at the time we shut down the port engine, caused by a faux
pas or two by me. We’ve been docking
rather than anchoring this trip because our house batteries are not charging
properly. So, what did I do last night
but forget to turn on the battery charger after we plugged in to shore
power. I noticed it in the morning and
turned it on, but only for an hour or two before we left the dock. I further exacerbated the situation by
leaving the refrigerator in AC mode instead of switching to propane when we
disconnected from shore power this morning.
So we were cruising along running the refrigerator on the already low house
batteries via the inverter. When I shut
off the port engine the house battery voltage dropped and stuff started to beep
just like it did when we anchored in Blind
Bay at the beginning of
the trip. Even with the port engine back
online a few minutes later, the amp draw through the inverter was too much so
we shut the inverter off. The GPS and
depth sounder continued to function, although the GPS would whine about it from
time to time until the inverter was turned off.
I didn’t know at this time that the refrigerator was the culprit drawing
the amps.
So we continued on towards Everett , and now the
laptop was running on its own battery. I
have a small backup inverter just large enough to run the computer up here on
the bridge, so I plugged the computer into that and turned it on. That was okay for about 5 or 10 minutes, then
that was too much as well. So we cruised
along without any 110 voltage at all, and I surmised the laptop would die
sometime before we arrived at Everett . It did, just as we were approaching Hat Island . Of course, we knew where we were going, and
we’d already opened up the paper chart book.
We came in the last couple miles old school style, using compass, paper
chart and visual observation of the buoys.
We should probably do that more often.
The wind blows off the water
here in Everett in the evenings, as evidenced by
all the kite surfers that use Jetty
Island . We noticed some kite surfers as we passed by,
but still decided to tie up on the inside of the guest dock. When the wind is blowing us away from the
dock the procedure is to snare a cleat with the mid line, tie it down then use
engine power to pull the boat over to the dock.
After a couple of tries Erin snared a cleat and as I stopped the forward
motion of the boat so she could tie off, the wind caught us and had us far
enough from the dock that she only had a couple feet of line left to tie to our
cleat. She managed to get that line secure
and I pulled forward, letting that line pull us to the dock to where Erin could get off and grab the bowline while Ray lassoed
a cleat at the stern. To make it more
interesting, the place where we came to a stop had a gap where we wanted a
cleat for the stern, so we ended up backing the boat up about 10 feet by hand,
with both Erin and myself on the dock hurrying from one cleat to the other
before the boat blew away. We are very
snug to the dock now, and anticipate the wind to be blowing in the opposite
direction in the morning, making it difficult to get away. But that will be easier than the landing.
We’re all plugged in now,
and everything that should be turned on is turned on – and of course the
computer is alive again as well. I also
think I know what the problem may be with the charging system. Although the port engine’s alternator is
connected to our house batteries, I think that it is getting a signal through
its harness giving the voltage of the starting batteries, which would tell the
alternator that more charging is not needed.
Something more to sort out.
We’re about to have a
beautiful sunset here in Everett and expect
another sunny day tomorrow for our cruise back to Lake Union .
No comments:
Post a Comment