After breakfast we went up
to the office to see about staying another night. They had put us on the breakwater dock in a
reserved spot last night, and that space had other takers for tonight. There were no slips available for our size,
but they put us on the waiting list, and our check-out time wasn’t until 1:00
pm. I had monkeyed around testing the
batteries as best I could and decided that the two banks were at least equally
powered – good or bad. By shutting off
the shore power and putting a load on the batteries one bank at a time through
the inverter I could see that they held their voltage while using 50 amps or
so, so at least they weren’t totally out of kilter. Of course, I didn’t run this test for long,
as I would then need to recharge them again.
We developed a plan that if
our checkout time arrived before a slip became available, we would just cruise
on up to Ganges in the Gulf Islands . That would be about 4 hours away. There are two marinas plus a government dock
there, and if we had to anchor I think we’d be okay with that as well as long
as we turned off our ice maker completely for the night. We usually just put the bar up that prevents
it from making new cubes – in that mode it draws lots of power as it’s working
to put out another batch of cubes every 20 minutes or so. With the bar up it just cycles enough to keep
the existing ice cold. But, having other
things working the next morning definitely trumps having a bin full of ice!
I also fiddled with the GPS
last night. The Furuno needed a new 1
amp fuse in the line. The gum wrapper
that was wrapped around the old fuse was worn out! J (Nope, I
didn’t put it there, it apparently came that way.) The Garmin also eventually came back to life
after removing and replacing the batteries two or three times. I think I’ll pick up one of those hockey puck
GPS units that plug into the computer’s usb port – no separate power supply
issues there!
We had an otherwise
leisurely day in port, and around 12:30 one of the marina staff came around and
gave us a slip assignment on the F dock, so we had a grand cruise from one side
of the marina to the other – didn’t even have to move the fenders or lines.
Erin and I walked the dock
in the afternoon, and came across the sailboat Desert
Sky. We had met them on our trip to Alaska 9 years ago and
toured their boat. There was no one on
board at the time so we don’t even know if it has the same owners now.
Dinner tonight was the
marinated flank steak that I prepared last weekend before we left home. I set up the barbecue on the walkway outside
the starboard side door, as with most of the windows in the top it wouldn’t be
a good idea to barbecue in the usual spot on the bridge. The flank steak was delicious – we all ate
too much. Tonight we’ll watch a movie on
DVD – maybe Cowboys & Aliens.
Our plan is to leave in the
morning and head to Ganges . It’s just a couple hours of leisurely
cruising to Bedwell for customs, then another couple hours to Ganges .
No comments:
Post a Comment